Musings and Memories:
Work and Life Experiences at EMI
The Spark 💥
I applied for this job way back in 1988. There was a massive hiring opportunity at a new factory being built by a Japanese-owned company in Imus, Cavite.
The application process took almost three months because we had to return after submitting our resumes, have a physical examination, apply for our passports at the DFA, and wait for the scheduled interview.
I passed the interview and will wait for our training schedule before we start working in the company.
3 Months of Automotive Wiring Harness Training in Japan 🗾
![]() |
| Japan Training 1989 |
I was included in Batch 29 for training in Gotemba, Japan, from February to May 1989. A training-to-hiring plan for trainees to develop skills in automotive wiring harness assembly and manufacturing, so we can become production operators when we return to the Philippines. In the next three months, Gotemba, Susono, and Fuji gyms will serve as our Training centers.
The complete personal blog is titled "Japan 1989."
Era 1: Early Years in Production (Years 1 to 19)
Year 1: The Production Operator 🏭
After completing three months of training in Japan, I entered a six-month probationary period and became a regular employee at the local factory. I had to adjust to shift work, stand for long hours, and the fast pace of the conveyor line.
I also had to learn the basics of assembling the wires using a guide, laying them out on a moving jig board attached to a conveyor. As a sub/layout operator, I must do the work precisely and accurately to avoid defects.
Years 2 to 5: The Inspector 🔎
Then, our Line Leader transferred me to the Inspection process, a level up from assembling parts to catching mistakes.
Four years of experience as a Parts Checker, Finishing, Appearance, and Delivery Inspector developed my ability to find defects and insulation flaws. The inspection process requires us to find abnormalities in the finished product and ensure high-quality standards are met.
![]() |
| Production Line Quality Controller |
Years 6 to 19: The Line Quality Controller 📋
I was promoted to Line Quality Controller, and my hard work was rewarded. I am grateful for leaders and immediate superiors who trust my abilities.
Being LQC was challenging; I had to manage good quality right on the active assembly line. My job is to solve daily problems and prevent defect flowouts of our product. We must possess leadership qualities while still knowing how to collaborate with all the operators and inspectors.
Era 2: The Pivot to People (Years 20 - 33)
From Production to Training
I was one of the handpicked employees from the Production Department to be transferred to the Training Department in 2008. It was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up.
Some say it is fate because only a few employees can be transferred to another job or department. One needs to apply for it or take examinations and interviews. I am grateful to our Production Manager, Ms. Ever Mojica. Her recommendation boosted my confidence in taking this job opportunity.
Years 20 to 33: The Trainer 📝
Then began my challenge of teaching, training, and mentoring new operators. I had no background in teaching. I was not able to continue my college studies due to financial difficulties. I only had my acquired skills and actual work experience as an operator, inspector, and LQC in the production area.
Training or mentoring others is more stressful than doing that work yourself. Teaching requires patience, which is a challenge for anyone. Some trainees are scared of me because I don't smile or tell jokes, unlike the other trainers. So, I explain to the trainees that I am more focused on teaching them.
I became a 2nd-grade instructor for newly hired employees in December 2010. Shaping new hires as a trainer can be a rewarding experience when they succeed in line and become regular employees.
![]() |
| Second Grade Instructor Training |
![]() |
| TQM Department |
EMI as a Life School:
Weathering the Elements
In three decades of working on-site, I have experienced severe floods triggered by storms, namely Typhoon Milenyo (2006), Typhoon Ondoy (2009), and Tropical Storm Paeng (2022), interacting with the southwest monsoon; I had to report for work despite the bad weather conditions.
There were minor earthquakes felt at the factory, and ashfall drifted toward Southern Luzon, blanketing Cavite province and surrounding area with thick volcanic ash from the Mt. Pinatubo eruption in June 1991.
I have experienced heavy traffic commuting to work, which caused panic about whether I could make it on time, and a union strike that started a new revolution and changed the working relationship between rank-and-file employees and Management.
And the Covid19 pandemic of 2020 that caused a global shutdown. Three months of "no work" due to quarantine, from March to June. Strict lockdowns and quarantines; this was the most difficult time. When I returned to work, I had to wear face masks and face shields, and practice social distancing to avoid contracting the virus.
Every job has its challenges and struggles; an employee must persevere to overcome them.
Hidden Rewards
I learned the value of hard work, resilience, teamwork, and cooperation when I started in Production, and patience and empathy while training the new hires.
The Taiso, or morning exercise before work, keeps us active and fit to face the day ahead.
5S taught me that cleaning is more of an attitude towards a clean and safe work environment.
Kaizen, or continuous improvement, is essential for a growing company.
What's Next?
But now, after 33 years as a company employee, I have decided to resign from on-site and full-time work. Management and the union offer this benefit for older employees who wish to retire from the company on an optional basis. The main reason is that I wanted to fix our roof. Our house's roof has never been repaired since the 1970s, and our ceiling has holes and leaks when it rains.
Another reason is to receive the Plaque of Appreciation for resigning employees who have 20 or more years of service to the company. It's trivial, but you can only receive a plaque once you resign; isn't it ironic?
![]() |
| Loyalty awardee 33 years in service |
Final Thoughts
Over three decades, I saw the automotive wiring harness industry change and grow. My skills have developed from a Production operator to training new hires.
Being with the same company for 33 years was an achievement. I didn't plan to apply elsewhere; I am a loyal employee.
Thank you, co-workers, mentors, and superiors, for the memories. I truly enjoyed my work, and I am blessed to have good friends at work. Thankful for God’s grace and guidance, the support of my family, and good friends.
I'm stepping into this new path with a full heart. I'm taking a career break and finally fulfilling my dream of writing. Change is hard, but growth makes it worth it.






Comments
Post a Comment