My Not-So-Glamorous Writing Journey
My writing journey is unsure, quiet, and far from glamorous.
Mostly filled with self-doubt, crumpled papers, and staring at a blank page before, and now at a screen on my clunky laptop with unpublished or deleted drafts.
Yes, I loved writing long letters to friends during my teenage years when snail mail was still available.
At work, I habitually take notes during meetings, trainings, and lectures because it helps me remember what was discussed.
How can I even consider myself a writer?
Let me take you to the beginning of my journey...
A Look at My "Failed" Attempts to be a Writer:
My Short-Lived Teen Reporter Phase 📚
This was my first attempt to write as a reporter for our High School paper. It's normal to dream of becoming a writer when you love going to the school library and reading Nancy Drew mystery books.
My favorite subject was English class because of my two teachers: Miss Myrna Vidal and the substitute teacher, Mrs. Sarroca.
Despite Miss Vidal's strict teaching style, I enjoyed learning in her class, and she taught us well. On the other hand, Mrs. Sarroca's teaching style is more fun. These two English teachers were my inspiration to become a writer.
Anyway, I didn't pursue it further since I was in my graduating class in high school and we had many activities at that time.
When Your Day Job is Quality Control, But You Want To Write 📋
While working in the Production Department, I joined a writing seminar to continue my dream of being a writer.
I was always excited at the beginning of this endeavor. I hoped this would be my chance to contribute to the company newsletter.
Unfortunately, I couldn't continue my writing because the two Production lines I was in charge of had high targets. I had to assist inspectors when they had an accumulation of harnesses for inspection. Adding to this hindrance is being assigned to the night shift.
As a Line Quality Controller, I already had too much work to do, and I used my writing skills to brainstorm countermeasures for the Monthly Quality Reports and Quality Control Circle Reports.
Uncovering My Blogging Niche 💻
I started blogging in 2023 with the guidance of my sister, Mylene, who also wrote her blogs as Cavite Virtual Assistant Mom.
I struggled at the beginning with typing on a laptop. I am not tech-savvy, so I need to practice basic typing skills.
My first blog was about "Musings & Memories: Work & Life Experiences at EMI".
It is easier to start writing about personal experiences at work. This is like writing in a diary or journal to record your memories and then to reminisce about what you have experienced. I have also written three blogs about my overseas training experiences in Japan, Thailand, and India.
I also wrote Book Reviews on books I have read or borrowed, and Movie Reviews on movies I've watched on Netflix.
I discovered it took me longer to write book reviews than movie reviews. Books take longer to read, while watching movies takes only two to three hours.
Final Thoughts
Writing every day, even when it feels terrible, builds a true and real writer. The joy of finishing one sentence can be celebrated as a small win. Your growth as a writer happens in tiny steps; it's not an overnight success.
My evolution from starting to write for our high school paper as a reporter and struggling to be a contributing writer for the company newsletter into an authentic personal blogger taught me that the best writing comes from simply being yourself.
Everyone thinks they can write, and it can be true, but finding your true voice is a lifelong journey.
"The rough draft of your life is worth writing." ✍


Comments
Post a Comment